Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Tonight

Some nights, like tonight, I find myself lost in front of the computer at nearly midnight watching videos of whatever I'm led to. The nights never start out that way - I just find myself here. These days, I feel like I'm too busy to listen to music anymore, but occasionally find the time to really focus on it.

It's a very personal thing for me. I don't generally talk about how a song or album makes me feel, but they almost always move me in some way. It's hard to describe the feeling that all of us must get when we hear a beautiful, surprising song for the first time that somehow connects with you and makes you feel nostalgic for things you've tried to forget. This happened to me tonight when I listened to John Lennon's Real Love demo from the Dakota. I know that a lot of Beatles purists look down on this song for its simplicity, but how much more beautiful and personal can a song get? I listen to this and I can see him in the Dakota waiting until Sean heads to bed before sitting at the piano, practicing the chord changes a few times, and finally clicking on the tape recorder on top of the piano to run through this little idea he had - having no idea that anyone would be listening to his private recordings nearly 30 years later and be so incredibly moved by his performance.

I also checked out some clips from a documentary on Wilco called I Am Trying to Break Your Heart. I was first introduced to these guys through this documentary and, I admit, wasn't convinced upon my first listen. Maybe I was listening to too much classic rock, but at the time I just didn't get it - their music wasn't easily classifiable, which put me off. The more I listened and learned about them, the more I realized that this is the sort of band that I need to pay more attention to - the kind of American band that makes music they would want to listen to and doesn't worry about radio play or selling records or publicity - they remind me a bit of The Band. The documentary follows them while they make the album Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Here are some clips which are worth your time if you're interested:

Opening credits (great cinematography of Chicago)



Demoing "Cars Can't Escape"



Another Man's Done Gone (from Woody Guthrie project with Billy Bragg)



(Editorial note - not a huge fan of Wilco's newest album, but I'm having a hard time thinking of any American band that has a better 4 album run than Being There, Summerteeth, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and A Ghost Is Born - any thoughts?)

No comments:

Post a Comment